Friday, August 10, 2007

Roma Tomatoes

Roma Tomatoes (Italian or Plum)


Roma tomatoes are an Italian variety of the plum tomato with a great flavor, Romas are excellent for sauces, especially if they are overripe. Romas are also used in salads. Some say Roma tomatoes thicken as they cook, which is why they’re good for tomato sauces or is it just that Roma tomatoes are not so juicy as slicing tomatoes, and if one seeded the slicing tomatoes they would also thicken when cooked? Time to test...

Here is my batch of Roma tomatoes plants. I didn't have too many good options to plant them in the ground so I opted for potting them in 2 gallon flower pots. This option has worked out pretty well so far; they're easier to care for, I can rotate the pots so they get a more even tan and they're next to the spigot and get plenty of water and TLC. They're doing fantastic and are loaded with tomatoes. I hope we're able to get enough to can a good batch. We'll see...

No comments: