Sunday, September 09, 2007

Water Scorpion

I found this insect floating in my pool yesterday. At first I thought it was a walking stick, however, after checking with my sources I've confirmed this not a walking stick but rather a Ranatra, also known as a water stick-insect or water scorpion.

All I can say is COOL...





The Ranatra is considered a predatory insect. They can be found in swimming pools, ponds and lakes. They can also fly. They use there front legs to grasp prey and eat tadpoles, small fish and other insects, which they pierce with their beak and inject a saliva which both sedates and begins to digest their prey.

The walking stick on the other hand is not a problem as a pest either to farmers or to ordinary people. These creatures spend their days motionless hanging from leaves and branches waiting until dark to feed. These peaceful insects are strictly vegetarians feeding on berry, cherry and a variety of other leaves.

No comments: