Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Getting Ready: Raspberries 2008

Here are our two rows of raspberries, each row approximately 50' long.

I've spent a couple days in our raspberries doing some spring cleanup and getting the beds and plants ready for their summer production. We have two different kinds of raspberries; one is red and the other is orange. Both are tasty, with the orange ones being sweeter. However, I do not know what kind of plants these are, so that's next on my list; determine the raspberry types.

I cut out the old, dead stocks and topped all remaining plants to remove last years dead growth. I also weeded as best I could and spread compost throughout giving them some good, rich organic food. There are no excuse now for poor performance unless Mother Nature pulls a fast one.

Remember, raspberry plants are biennial, which means that the first year they are vegetative only and don't produce fruit.

Proper Care of Raspberries

No comments: