Monday, June 16, 2008

Of Course You Realize, This Means War!

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote." *

Lettuce Kale

"I have to laugh, because I've outsmarted even myself. My enemy, my foe, is an animal. In order to conquer the animal, I have to learn to think like an animal. And, whenever possible, to look like one. I've gotta get inside this guy's pelt and crawl around for a few days." *

Broccoli Parsley
As you can see from the above pictures (taken last night) that we have a varmint problem in our garden! Yup, some annoying, bothersome, galling, irritating, nettlesome, pesky, pestering, pestiferous, plaguy, teasing, vexatious, vexing, soon-to-be-dead varmint SOB, that has boldly been helping itself to, not only the above vegetable plants, but also the Purple Cone flower, the Black-eyed Susan and the Comfrey.
There are (3) possible culprits here: deer, woodchuck and/or rabbit. I have my suspicions that the rabbit varmints are behind this atrocity. The damage is relatively small considering what it could be if say a deer was behind this and I've not seen a single deer track - therefore I've ruled out Bambi. I don't believe the woodchuck would be so bold to forage up beside the house, to far. Well not that it's to far but these shy, portly critters like to keep close to the edge of the woods and often waste no time in running away at the slightest noise or sign of humans. He'd be too exposed to venture all the way up to the garden and have no quick exit strategy - therefore I've ruled out this Marmot rodent. The above process of elimination leaves us with the guilty party - Colonel Mustard in the library with a candlestick, err I mean the rabbit.
Stay tuned to see how this plays out...
* Memorable quotes by Carl Spackler from the 1980 movie Caddyshack.

1 comment:

SmF732 said...

FYI -

The blue shavings in the pictures is actually shaved Irish Spring soap!

I was told that this is an effective way to deter deer. Even though I don't believe deer to be the problem, now anyway, I figured I'd give this a try.

It didn't work, the varmint returned that night/follow day and nibbled some more.