Thursday, December 11, 2008

Good vs Bad

Here is a picture of the seal on a gallon of Lactaid milk. This is an excellent seal to guarantee freshness, however, this is also an extremely difficult seal to open and remove. They provide a little tab on the seal itself which is supposed to aide in it's removal but don't believe it. It's equally as difficult to try and get a hold of the tab as it is to remove the seal all together.

Here is a seal on the a bottle of Hazelnut Nestle Coffee-Mate. It too is an excellent seal to guarantee freshness, however, this seal is extremely easy to open and remove - it has a handy pull tab.

I sent an email to Lactaid customer service to express my displeasure and concern with their seal. In an effort to provide a compelling example of just how difficult their seals are to remove I explained that I am a strapping young man in excellent physical shape and in tip-top condition and work with my hands all day and here I am having difficulties removing a simple seal. Now imagine how an older person might struggle, perhaps one with arthritis, and how difficult it might be for them to open. I closed with asking how many customers they felt they've lost because of the difficulty in removing this seal.

Much to my surprised I received a very nice email in response thanking me for bringing this concern to their attention. They stressed how this seal ensures freshness and that they would keep my concerns in mind moving forward. I was also tickled when I received a second letter via the US mail again thanking me for my feedback along with three coupons each for a free half gallon of Lactaid milk, booya!

One of the companies was thinking beyond freshness...

No comments: