Sunday, February 01, 2009

Mr. Not-So-Nocturnal Opossum

While talking on the phone Sunday morning and much to my surprise what do I see marching out of the back woods towards me - Mr. Not-so-nocturnal opossum. Actually this was more like noontime.


It's was a beautiful sunny and warm day with a lot of melting taking place and as a result this short legged critter was having a tough time walking on top of the fallen snow. Almost every other step he took he'd break through onto his belly. Emilie and I watched as he navigated through the under brush as he worked his way towards the old woodpile. Once there underneath he went to what we thought was nite-nite, however, when we looked out a short time later there he was in front of the chicken pen, attempting to dig in and being a nuisance. This of course didn't sit well with the chickens, they were quite upset.

Well, we simply couldn't have that, so I sprung into action, a.k.a Steve Irwin (may he rest in peace), put on my boots, grabbed a pair of gloves and an empty trash barrel and away I went. Being that he's a opossum he had one strike against him in terms of speed or lack there of, secondly and even if he was quicker the snow was simply too soft and too deep for him to make a clean get away, so I pounced - TA DA I shouted (not really but in an effort to make this story more exciting I've added it) as I wrestled this dude into submission (hehehe). Actually, I just picked him up and plopped him in the trash barrel. Anyone for a bucket-o opossum? Them thar em good eatin varmits I recken...

On the ride to my uncles house to watch the Superbowl we took Mr. Not-so-nocturnal opossum for the ride. We relocated him far enough away that we won't ever see him again. When transferring him to the crate for transport he wrapped his tail around two of my fingers and seemed content (as content as possible under the circumstance) to just hang and dangle there.

Crikey...

No comments: