Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Columbine Sawfly Larvae Infestation

We have our first insect critter problem of the season. We’ll actually the second; the first was an Eastern tent caterpillar nest and associated caterpillars that took up residence in our peach tree. The nest and occupants (most) have since been destroyed :-)

This second insect critter problem involves our Columbine plants. We have an abundance of these plants all over our yard, I’d say well over 20+, and in a variety of cool and unique colors. With that said this critter problem has huge, damaging implications.


I noticed one plant in particular, that resides next to the back gate, which was missing 90% of its leaves – it was a virtual Charlie Brown Christmas tree. After a closer inspection, one that required me to get on my hands and knees, I found the culprits responsible – the Columbine sawfly larvae - worm or caterpillar.


Pristophora aquiligae

This is the first year that we’ve had this specific issue. The plant was covered with these little green eating machines. I picked a handful off and fed to the chickens, which they gobbled up. I’ve inspected the other Columbine plants throughout the ole homestead and frustratingly they’re affected also. However, the damage is not as bad as on the initial plant but I suspect it won’t take these pests long to defoliate these plants too.

I’m sure there are chemicals that could be sprayed to kill these critters but instead Emilie and I have decided to take the hunt and kill approach. I use a pair of long nosed, sharp scissors to cut the little fuckers in half; Emilie has chosen to squish them between her fingers. There are simply too many and they’re too small to try picking them off to feed to the chickens at this point. We’ve killed over 200+ in just two days! The goal is to kill as many as possible to minimize their damage. Perhaps, I will look into a safe insecticidal soap that I can use to ensure a higher kill rate.

No comments: