Friday, January 08, 2010

"Awnya" "Awnya"!!

So, I went to watch Stephanie's varsity ice hockey game Wednesday night. It was an exciting game. The Walpole Rebels carried the play for most of the game but unfortunately found they themselves trailing 2 - 1. With about a minute and a half remaining in the game Walpole pulled their goalie for an extra skater and with just 15 seconds left Walpole scored - the place went wild! They were fortunate enough to walk away with a tie 2 - 2.

NOTE: Stephanie got the assist on the game tying goal. She is also the Walpole Rebels girls ice hockey program's all-time leading scorer to date!!

On a side note - throughout the entire game, one of the dads was rooting and yelling words of encouragement to all the WHS girls. He was constantly yelling "Awnya" "Awnya". The name didn't sound familiar to me. I didn't know of any girl on Stephanie's team named Awnya. I checked the program they handed out at the door; went down the list and sure enough there was no Awnya. I was puzzled and thought to myself to ask Stephanie about this girl Awnya after the game.

All of a sudden it HIT me, daaaaaaah! He wasn't yelling Awnya, a players name, but rather "on yeah"! He was yelling to let the girls know that an opposing player was "on yeah" and to be careful with the puck.

It was a long day...

No comments: