Friday, March 12, 2010

Can You Spot The Difference?

Before:


After:


Can you spot the difference between the two pictures above, hmmm? I'm not referring to the angles at which the pictures were taken at either.

SPOILER ALERT! Okay, here goes - it's the banister, DAH!

Yup, I finally got around to installing our new basement stairs banister. It needed to be sanded and stained and polyurethaned x 3 and looks very nice if I do say so myself. One item of frustration and an item that will forever bother me, is that the banister brackets are different - yup, two different kinds. Of course I didn't notice this when I purchased them but why would I? Live and learn, next time I'll know. They were individually wrapped and came out of the same carton so of course they'd be the same, right? NO! Naturally I noticed this after the packages were opened and I was in the midst of installing the sucker. Fortunately, they're similar, so they'll work. Sumbitch!

I removed our old banister, the original that came with the house, to install at a friends house. She needed the extra support for her treks up and down her basement stairs. So we went without for a little while. However, we had some aged challenged relatives (is this the proper politically correct reference) over the house and not having a banister for them to hold onto really highlighted the need and the danger. Now, if I only had video of them ascending the stairs, I'm certain it would have made Americas Funniest Home Videos and perhaps even qualify for the end of the season hundred-thousand dollar drawing it was that entertaining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are SO handy!

SmF732 said...

Somewhat handy, I'm somewhat handy.

Anonymous said...

Yes definitely handy…uh oh 5 minutes till Wapner…256 thousand 8 hundred and 92.