Thursday, September 30, 2010

Welcome Guest, Finally Back

Can you find the critter in the below picture? Also, to make this a little more challenging name the plant that the critter is dining on!



Well, it's been a couple of years since we've seen a praying mantis at the ole Lincoln Street homestead, so it was a very pleasant surprise when I came across this lovely lady while watering the flowers around the pool.

I would watch her for a while, then continue with my chores, then back again to watch her. On one of my visits she had caught a bee and was contently devouring it, every last piece! Once the Sedum starts to bloom it's loaded with ALL sorts of nectar feeding insects. I'm sure this bee was out enjoying the afternoon trying to put a full days work in when, BAM, he became diner. Ah, the circle of life.



At about this point Madonna's song "Vogue" came on the radio and clearly this mantis could hear it. About the time of "Strike a pose, Strike a pose, Vogue, vogue, vogue, Vogue, vogue, vogue", this lady did as instructed. I know, weird huh?!?!



Anyway, she was gone from the sedum the next day, which was disappointing since Emilie wasn't home to see her. We checked the other flowers in the area but couldn't find her. I hope she sticks around and lays her eggs here so we have oodles next year!

No comments: