Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Snow, Snow Go Away...

Before -


Following my blood donation, I changed cloths, loaded the snow blower into the back of my pickup truck and took off for my dad's house. Although, one of the neighbors takes care of plowing his driveway, there is still a lot of shoveling left to do. I use the snow blower for this, which makes a world of difference but still back breaking work.

I headed over with the intention of cleaning up where the plow is unable to reach, cutting back the corners and clearing a pathway to the back porch, the back basement door and to the shed from the driveway. This way, and in case of an emergency, access is cleared. I also wanted to get up on the house roof and shed roof to clear the huge mounds of snow that have accumulated. The shed, I'm worried about the roof collapsing in and the house, I'm worried about water getting inside and doing damage.

Well, the first part wasn't too bad, using the snow blower. I had already taken care of cutting these pathways following the last storm we had, so really they just needed to have the latest snow removed. However, the clearing of the roofs was the real test/chore. Of course, not only is it difficult shoveling off several layers of snow but doing so while trying not to slip off the icy roof was challenging. Of course before I could get the ladder in place on the back porch, it too needed to be cleared of several layers of storm snow, uggh!

Just when I thought the hard work was done, it was then time to clean up the snow that was pushed off the roof. Naturally, the majority of this snow landed on the front and back decks, front walk and stairs and part of the pathway already cleared. I tried to toss it where I wouldn't have to touch it again but keep in mind that I'm balancing myself on a slippery, ice coated roof.

I wonder if watching someone clean snow off of a roof is similar to watching someone mow your lawn, just a different season. Keep in mind I was a pint of blood short too! In either case the pay is the same...


After -

No comments: