Sunday, May 22, 2011

Poor Craftsman-ship!



I opened, assembled and used my new Craftsman weedwacker this weekend. My previous one, which was only a couple years old, crapped out on me - the pull cord came out but wouldn't retract back inside. The end result was a manufacture defect, so my new one was replaced free of charge.

Of course the assembly piece of this project,which should have been straight forward, was a little more challenging than you'd expect. This was not due to needing to install a gazillion pieces and parts but rather a result of shoddy workmanship.

I'm holding the lower piece of the shaft in the picture above. This piece, from a packaging perspective, looked very professional and even came with a nice red cap, which I'm guessing was to protect the grease inside. However, once the cap was removed I was presented with the above. This piece needs to be round and NOT bent because it needs to slide into the upper part of the shaft otherwise it simply does not fit.

In the end this was a relatively easy fix but what if it wasn't and what if there are other defects that exist but have yet to show themselves. Sadly, I've come to expect this kind of product from Sears these days. Their Craftsman products just are NOT what they used to be.

Weedwack on...

No comments: