Monday, July 18, 2011

Insect Wars (aka Whale Wars)

Our secret weapon in the ongoing battle to rid our plants of unwanted and destructive insects - the Praying Mantis!



I came across this little praying mantis dude the other day while weeding. It was hiding on a Jerusalem artichoke plant that was growing within one of our beautiful phlox plants. Fortunately I was carefully pulling the Jerusalem artichokes out that have spread too far from where they belong and just happened to notice this guy. I've never before seen a praying mantis so small, they're usually full grown by the time I notice them. This one was no more than an inch/inch and a half long at best. He's since moved on to a new hiding place and hopefully continues to dine on all the unwanted insects it can find. I can only imagine that there are more of these critters out there - let's hope so!

No comments: