Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Abuzz Over Cicadas



It's a first for me - I came across a live Cicada nymph yesterday evening (pictured to the far left)! I'm guessing that this dude had just emerged from it's LONG stay underground.

I often come across the exoskeleton remains, some of them in the weirdest places too (pictured center). The one above was hanging on a post I have out besides our chicken pen. It's been hanging there for weeks now but I removed for this photo shot.

The adult Cicada (pictured to the far right), which is dead, was lying in our driveway yesterday afternoon.

We caged up the nymph and provided some branches for it to climb on and secure itself to before transforming. Low and behold in less then 2 hours the dude was busting out of it's shell with the transformation process well underway - SO cool! It's now a lovely, fully formed adult cicada. I'm hoping it's a male so we can experience the cicada song up close and personal. We'll give it a couple days and then let it loose to complete it's LONG odyssey.

No comments: