Sunday, September 18, 2011

I'm Changing Things Up Garlic Wise

I decided to change things up regarding this fall's garlic planting since our summer harvest was less then good. For several years now I've been planting California Softneck garlic, which I would buy from our local Agway store. All in all we've been pleased and have had success but...

This year I ordered via the Internet from
Seven Acre Seeds and went with their German White garlic. I paid a bit more, especially when you add in shipping but I wanted to try something different.



One pound ended up being (5) beautiful bulbs, see below.



So, from the five bulbs I was able to plant (3) rows each with 10 cloves this past Saturday! They're in, now it's a waiting game and I have my fingers crossed for a bountiful harvest come nest summer.

The other change I made was location! I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone, and decided to swap the location I've always planted our garlic in with the location I've always planted our Kale and Broccoli in. The main thought behind this decision was to relocate the Kale and Broccoli closer to the house and much farther away from the temptation and reach of the woodchucks. I just hope that don't like garlic.

No comments: