Sunday, January 15, 2012

Better Late Than Never!



JoAnne picked up the above bulbs packages several months ago. They were marked down and she got them for next to nothing, winning :-)

Getting them planted had been on my "list", and for the longest time the weather had been cooperating too. However, call it forgetfulness or procrastination or whatever, I didn't get them planted. Last weekend that changed - although the ground is now frozen I ran the risk of losing all these bulbs if I didn't do something with them. Some were starting to get soft and punky and some were starting to sprout. So, I went to plan B and simply planted them all together in the compost pile. It too was frozen on top but I was able to dig down deep enough to get them all in and covered nicely for the long winter ahead.

The plan now is to keep my fingers crossed and hope they all survive, best case scenario, and then transplant them come Spring time when they start popping through the soil. Worst case, they become compost...

No comments: