Saturday, July 21, 2012

Hosta Haircut and More


The woodchuck war wages on here at the ole homestead.  As you can see above, they're done a number on this hosta.  Fortunately they're not bothering with our vegetable garden, which I believe are simply too far away from their comfort zone.  However, they are doing a number on the perennials along the end of the woods - the hostas, comfrey, cornflower, balloon flower and even the raspberry plants.

I've set the trap several times but with this crazy hot, humid weather the bait just doesn't last, so no luck yet.  I've found two of their holes and in an effort to get them to move I've cleared the over growth around both holes and even dropped shovels full of Trixie's droppings - no luck. 

These dudes are way more allusive then those in the past, as I've only seen them once or twice but clearly, by the defoliation, they're out there.  I'm patient and will eventually eradicate them, mark my words!!

No comments: