Friday, October 19, 2012

What a Lovely Lady!

 
Emilie came across this beautiful Praying Mantis this past weekend just hanging out on the fence.  She is also the one who took this, and some other, great pictures!
 
I was somewhat surprised to see this lady but very happy just the same.  It's been a couple years since we've seen any on our property and although I realize that just because we don't notice them doesn't mean they're not there.  However, I do spend quite a bit of time working and puttering around the yard I'd like to think I would have spotted her much earlier than we did but not worries.
 
She was BIG and beautiful, which means that she had very good summer bulking up on insects.
 
I suspect, based on her size, that she'll be looking for a place to lay her eggs soon, real soon especially with the colder weather moving in.  I'm also guessing that she's too big to fly off very far if at all, so chances are she'll be laying her eggs somewhere close by.  This is perfect and means we'll have more, many more, little Praying Mantises her come next Spring/Summer!

No comments: