Thursday, November 13, 2014

A 20 Minute Job Right...

So, the toilet in my bathroom began randomly refilling.  Like I was taught I would jiggle the handle.  Sometimes this work, something it wouldn't.

Upon closer inspection I noticed that the flush value was missing one of the pegs that the flapper connects to, UGH.

I pulled the installation instructions that came with the commode, determined the replacement part number then called American Standard and order a replacement flush valve.


The new flapper arrived -


The installation was supposed to be a piece of cake - 

shut off the water to the toilet
remove two bolt nuts
and the tank comes off the bowl.

  Unscrew the old flapper valve
and install the new.
So far so good!

Replace the tank on the bowl
put the bolt nuts back on
*** DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN BOLTS! ***

SON-OF-A-%ITCH!
I over tighten
Not good, not good at all, alas!



I'll let you know but this is a couple hundred dollar oops-sie, as I now need to replace the entire toilet...  
Of course this model has been discontinued and no longer available.
The replacement model is quite expensive.

So, my 20 minute project is now up to a 4-day and counting project.  All the while unable to use the commode.

No comments: