Friday, August 07, 2026

Cigs, Butts, Coffin Nails, etc…

So it seems my two previous posts; Put Me In Coach & Put Me In Coach II, were unknowingly at the time incorrect, alas.

I assumed, and you know what they say when you assume something about asses…, that the bundles of stakes I took pictures of were tomato stakes. However, I now realize that those stakes are for a different product completely - ole tobacky-



Two flat bed carts fully loaded with freshly picked tobacco!

It looks like this tobacco farmer harvested the entire plants and pierced the wooden stakes through each of the stems.

They then have hung them up to dry in this curing barn -




I remember back in the day when growing up, we would often travel by station wagon from Massachusetts to Tennessee to visit family, and back then tobacco fields were so much more common. Once we’d hit the south seems many a farmer was growing tobacco to make a living.

Sadly, not so much anymore, or at least I’ve not seen any since arriving here in East Tennessee, well except for this ole farmer here in Tusculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment