That didn’t take long at all.
The field corn 🌽 running along a quarter mile of the walking trail is Tusculum was harvested this past week, only took them a couple days -
I need to do some research to understand the process, as I had assumed that the entire corn stalks; ears of corn, stalks and all of the plant, was processed and used for the silage. However, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Rather, it looked like the corn 🌽 was removed from the cobs and then the cobs and casings were discarded back onto the field, see example below -
Also, the first pass that the combine made looks like it cut the stalks about one to two feet up from the ground leaving a considerable amount of stalk behind, see below -
When all was said and done, the field is littered with the unused pieces and parts of the stalks and the stalks cut off at ground level. I’m assuming this will all eventually be tilled into the soil and used to feed and enhance the soil for next years crop -
It sure looks different and what an absolutely beautiful day it was yesterday -
I also need to read up on soybean harvesting. The back half of the above pic is a field of soybean, that I’m assuming will be processed soon. It’s interesting, as it looks like they wait for plant to completely die and dry up before picking.






No comments:
Post a Comment