Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Monarch Butterfly Metamorphosis

Finally! I finally found a Monarch caterpillar!

On my way home the other evening I passed by a field that was loaded with Milkweed plants - the only plant Monarch caterpillars can eat, so I stopped. I spent 15 minutes walking in the tall grass, circling the milkweed and inspecting each plant in the hopes of finding one of these little guys. I was hopeful as I began my search but was becoming worried as time passed and there were non to be found. Now if I was looking for other insects, i.e. Ladybugs, Milkweed Bugs, Red Milkweed Beetle, Milkweed Aphids (see links below), I would have been in good shape, as there were plenty.

Reluctantly I conceded and decided to head out. When to my surprise I spotted the little guy, chowing on literally the last Milkweed plant I passed, honest! This caterpillar was approximately 2 inches long, which is just about full size and time to pass into the next phase of metamorphosis - Pupa or Chrysalis phase.

I gently picked him up and then pulled the Milkweed plant from the ground - a doggie bag of sorts and headed home. Once home we placed him in a small terrarium we have, added several pieces of the Milkweed plant, sat back and watched. That little guy went to town eating - actually it was pretty amazing. I was very surprised at just how fast he ate - very similar as to how I eat corn on the cob; like a typewriter of sorts.

The timing was perfect, as the following afternoon (yesterday) this guy made his way to the top of the terrarium where he made a silk-like mat and attached himself to it with his last pair of legs - a Monarch caterpillar has 8 pairs of legs. Here he'll hang, in a J-shape for about a full day before shedding his skin for the last time as it passes from the larval stage to the pupa.

Sure enough this morning we were presented with a beautiful jade green casing (chrysalis). Now we wait...in just 9 to 14 days the transformation from caterpillar to butterfly will be complete. As the 'hatch' time draws near the chrysalis becomes transparent and we'll be able to see the orange and black wings of the Monarch Butterfly.

This brings back some fond memories and brings me back to my childhood. I am happy and proud that I am able to share this, as well as other experiences, with my kids. I hope this will form a last impression on them too; one that someday they will reflect upon.

Stay tuned...

No comments: