Friday, August 11, 2006

Oink, Oink


We took a drive today to go visit a friend of mine. We don't get to see him too often as he lives over an hours drive from where we live. It's a drive that has no direct route and usually has traffic somewhere along the way. It was a beautiful day and had been close to two months since we've seen him last so off we went JoAnne, Emilie and I.

Tim's his name and farming's his game. He lives on over 80 acres, raises animals, and grows flowers and vegetables in his greenhouse year around to make ends meet. He an old timer of sorts and lives as such. He doesn't have too much but will give you the shirt off his back and an incredible wealth of knowledge. His managerie today consists of; goats, pigs, cows, chickens, ducks, geese and rabbits - not too many of each but just enough to keep him busy full time.

Interesting enough, we met over 25 years ago when he responded to an ad I place in The WantAd - a local, weekly black and white, newspaper type magazine that lists pretty much anything you can think of from animals to furniture to autos and more... but I digress. Anyway, he responded to an ad I placed for a pygmy cross goat I was selling. Back then I was still a 'ute' and living at home with my folks and we've been very good friends ever since. I consider myself extremely lucky, fortunate to have come to know him and consider myself a better person because of him.

*** Quiz Time *** - The term 'Utes" comes from what movie? Come on now! Do we need a hint? Oh, alright then here's a clue, a name and that's all I'm gonna give you...'Vincent Gambini'

It's always exciting to visit, the time usually passes by too fast and before you know it it's time to head home. There is always something new and exciting that he's picked up and this trip was no different. As alway Emilie is thrilled by all the critters and usually bonds with one of them. On this visit she took a fancy to a potbellied pig. She's usually roams free with others potbellies but today she was caged, as she's pregnant and expecting soon. Emilie was having a ball feeding here grass, weeds and bread - she definetly made another friend - see her picture above.


The surprise this visit was an Eastern Box Turtle that he'd recused crossing the road. Now I've lived in New England all my live and I have NEVER found a box turtle in these parts, darn it! Anyway, she was a beautiful girl and actually the biggest one I've ever seen. We took a bunch of pictures, some will be used to catalog her, as the markings on Box Turtle shells are like finger prints, each indivdual and unique. In essence she's been cataloged and will now be released back in the area she was found.

Here is a picture of her and a URL, which is loaded with great information and links about Box Turtles:

No comments: