Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Road Kill - Averted

So we're driving to my dad's house on Sunday afternoon when we see a Painted Turtle on the edge of the road contemplating a mad dash or as close to a mad dash as a turtle can have to the other side. She was quite large as painted turtles go so I'd guess she was an old timer.

I banged a quick u-turn but got stopped finishing my turn because of a line of traffic. I thought she was a goner a she began to cross. Fortunately the traffic passed and I was able to pull along side her, stopping any other cars from squashing her, and JoAnne jumped out to grab her.

As JoAnne was just about to pick her up when I yelled out to her, "be careful she doesn't pee on you" and let me tell you had I not warned her she (JoAnne) would have gotten wet. After JoAnne thought the peeing stopped she got back in the truck and handed me the turtle and surprise she let loose (the turtle not JoAnne) another piddle, this one inside but luckily on a pile of napkin. I'm thinking this peeing thing is some sort of defensive mechanism, after all who in there right minds would continue to hold onto a peeing turtle...

We drove to a nice pond just a few miles away, one that Emilie could get out of the truck at and help me let the turtle go in. I guess she was happy as she quickly swam away. Emilie was too :-))

No comments: