Friday, June 22, 2007

Monster Garter Snake

I came across this monster yesterday when working in the yard - crikey. This is the biggest Garter snake that I have ever seen or come across in all my years. He was suning himself, here in the first picture, on the warm grass clipping of my compost pile.

The interesting thing here and I'm not sure if the average Joe or JoAnne can tell from this picture but it was pretty clear to me when I saw him. This dude was not only suning himself but resting after eating his meal. You can tell this by his large bulge, which I can guarantee you is no sock...


Being that he was so big I just had to catch and hold him. However, I knew that this was a bad idea. Not for fear of getting bit but rather for fear of upsetting him and having him regurgitate his meal!



Well, my selfishness prevailed and my fear came true, which are shown in the following two pictures. The amazing thing is that he regurgitated a mouse - a mouse! I knew Garter snakes were known to eat small rodents but I've never personally seen it but then again as I pointed out this is the biggest dude I've seen so he's more than capable at catching and eating mice.

Well, he'll be hungry again and I can only hope he nabs another mouse or small chipmunk. I hope he chooses to stick around too. I'd like to see him from time to time.




See my earlier posting on Friday, August 18, 2006 titled "Ecdysis" for detailed information on the Common Garter Snake.

No comments: