Thursday, August 16, 2007

Carolina Grasshopper

Can you find the grasshopper in this picture? You have to look real hard, he's not too easy to spot. Plus it isn't the best picture I've ever taken. Keep looking while I tell you a little about him...



I believe this is a Carolina Grasshopper - Dissosteira carolina. The Carolina Grasshopper is one of North America's largest grasshoppers which ranges widely in North America inhabiting weedy grasslands and is considered a minor pest. They feed mainly on several species of weeds and is a strong, adept flier.

Alright, do you give up? Were you able to find him in the previous picture? It's not easy, he's hiding pretty good. I guess that's a good thing from him because if you were a predator you'd walk right on by without seeing him and miss a meal.

Okay, see if you can see him in the following picture - I helped with a little clue...



Here is a link to some interesting images of the Carolina Grasshopper.

No comments: