Saturday, August 09, 2008

Visiting Fox

We had a Grey Fox in the back yard the other morning, just like the deer fawn twins we had visiting a couple weeks ago. This carnivorous mammal was stunning and quick, although his tail struck me as being shorter than normal.

Let me paint the picture for you - so, there I was fresh out of the shower and looking out the upstairs bathroom window wearing nothing but my new tighty-whities and brushing my teeth like I do every morning. When all of a sudden this grey fox darts out from the raspberries (which are behind the rear pool fencing and partially obscured from my vantage point) and makes a b-line towards the side yard and lunges at something as he hits the fence. I didn't see what he was after but he missed whatever it was. At this point he starts making his way towards the rear of our property (which has no fencing), stops for several seconds when the chickens begin to squawk and carry on, stares them down and then slowly slinks into the under brush and out of sight.

The entire episode happened so fast that there was simply no time to retrieve the camera, so once again I've drawn a picture that's pretty darn close to what this fox looked like.

No comments: