Sunday, March 28, 2010

Springtime Gardening Itch

The gardens have been turned and are ready for planting once the weather warms. The winter rye that we planted in the fall is no more and has been mixed into the soil along with the compost I spread on top of the snow just a few short months ago.

I've also built and added a fourth 4'x8' raised bed yesterday. Not sure what I'll plant in it or if it'll even be ready for planting this year. I don't have too much soil to fill it with. I did, however, clean the animal pens and cages yesterday and added that "stuff" but that's really too rich for planting in now.




Since we got hit, and hit hard, last year with tomato blight I've decided to take a different approach this season. Instead of buying tomato plants from the local nursery Emilie and I planted 100 Burpee tomato seeds, of four different varieties, indoors one week ago today. We certainly do NOT need that many plants, just planted all the seeds in each packages. We'll see how successful we are and how many actually come up. I'll be happy with 50%. If this doesn't work then I'll fall back and punt and head to the nursery...



1 - Burpee Big Boy Hybrid (78 days)
2 - Burpee Delicious (77 days)
3 - Burpee Super Beefsteak (80 days)
4 - Burpee Summer Choice (73 days)

No comments: