Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Plymouth Barred Rock Cockerals



I picked up these (3) Plymouth Barred Rock chicks for free several weeks ago. The posting had them listed as Black Sex-Link cockerels, which clearly they are not. Well, let me clarify that - they are not Black Sex-Link chickens, however, they are in fact cockerels, alas. I thought I was getting the better end of the deal and was thinking that if the person posted them as the wrong breed of chicken then it's possible he was also wrong on the sex. The birds looked like pullets in the picture he included with his advertisement but then again they were only 4 - 5 weeks old at the time. Well, as it turns out they're cockerels and I'm stuck with them, double alas. Efforts to give them away (free) have failed to date.

Sadly, the town of Franklin does NOT allow roosters (incessant barking dogs are OK though), so these guys MUST be gone before they learn and start crowing, which I'm guessing is a couple of months out. However, from a feed perspective these dudes need to go; they're little piggies.

My guess is that they can't swim any better than squirrels and chipmunks...

Would make good stew birds!! First come first served! Don't be shy!

1 comment:

Michelle Clay said...

I have to admit, I'm tempted to take you up on the offer. My husband and I are considering getting chickens at some point in the future. I figure we should start by trying the hardest part: killing and cleaning a bird ourselves. If we can't manage that, then we aren't cut out to keep chickens. :P

If they haven't allready been sent off to someone else's stewpot, and assuming that we aren't all going to be hunkering down in our bunkers this weekend when a hurricane passes by, I would be willing to reduce your flock by one. :)

You can reach me at stormbringgirl (at) hotmail.com . Thanks!