Wednesday, March 21, 2012

2012 Garden Tilling, Done!

I spent last Sunday (manually) turning the soil in our BIG vegetable garden. The Winter Rye I planted in the fall was growing too tall and thick with this fabulous weather we've been having, so it was best to get this all tilled sooner rather than later. Our gardens have all been turned and are sitting ready for when it's planting time.



I uncovered a wild rabbit nest dug into the ground and perfectly hidden in the tall Winter Rye, see picture below. I suspected I might find one, as I came across one last year (at least I think it was last year but as I write this I'm having some doubts. It very well could have been two years ago, yikes...). The one last year didn't fare too well. I only learned of it by the squealing of the kits that I had tilled, and which ended up being compost.

This years nest meet the same fate as the one before and was tilled under too. However, this one didn't have any young it, which is good since it spared me from having to compost baby bunnies again.

No comments: