Friday, November 16, 2012

Frosted Banana Perhaps?!

 
I'm sure you've all heard the urban saying, "the frost is on the pumpkin" (which by the way I just learned means "time for love making" after the hard work of the harvest is done). 
 
Well, how about frost on your banana?  Ever hear this saying?
 
Pictured above are about a half dozen cold hardy banana trees that my farmer friend Tim has planted here in New England. He started with just two plants but they've been producing babies (off-shoots).  I took one of the babies home with me the last time I was down for a visit.  Since it was closing in on the cold weather and not enough time to plant in the ground have it establish itself, it's happily growing away in a pot in our downstairs bathroom.
 
I can't remember the name of these plants but will make a point to write it down when I visit again.  Apparently, there is a "process" that needs to be follow in order to winterize these trees.  I believe the leaves need to be removed and the stems and base wrapped and mulched heavily with leaves.
 
Hopefully, Tim has done all this and his trees are ready for the long, cold New England Winter.

No comments: