Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cool Facts re: Fireflies

Spotted this lady lightening bug crawling along our deck the other afternoon, so I took her photo.  I'm sure she was resting up for a night of lighting things up.  It could be just me but seems that I'm seeing more fireflies this summer than in recent years.
 
Brings back fond memories of when I was growing up.
 
 
10 Cool Facts About Fireflies
 
1. Fireflies, also called lightning bugs, are neither flies nor bugs.
2. Fireflies are the world's most efficient light producers.
3. Fireflies "talk" to each other using light signals.
4. Fireflies are bioluminescent throughout their life cycles.
5. Not all adult fireflies flash.
6. Firefly larvae feed on snails.
7. Some fireflies are cannibals.
8. Female fireflies sometimes mimic the flashes of other species.
9. Firefly luciferase is used in all kinds of medical research.
10. Some fireflies synchronize their flash signals.
(facts pulled from About.com)

No comments: