Friday, October 03, 2014

Praying Mantis Fornication!




Turns out we had scads of Praying Mantis this year.  I was finding them all over the yard.  Seems once they're older they claim a territory and stay there.  So, when passing by I would peak in on the ones I knew about.  I was interesting to catch them stalking their prey or dinning on some poor insect and to watch how quickly they grew.

Well, perhaps I did a little too much peaking with these risk-cay pictures. 

The pair was coupled together in the AM before heading off to work and in the same embrace in the evening when I returned home some 10 hours later.

A couple days later the female was still there but alone.  Not sure if she dined on the male or if he scooted off.  Either way looks like we'll have many more next Spring and Summer too.

No comments: