Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Tilling I Did Go!

I tended to our gardens this past weekend, among a dozen other things.

Got a jump after work on Friday and began turning the winter rye and compost into the garden. 


 Found these grubs in the first five rows I turned.


By late Saturday afternoon our large garden was complete - all turned!



This go around produced this mess of grubs - well over 50!  The majority of these dude we about the size of a quarter, monsters.  Imagine what these suckers would do to tomato plants...


Not too worry, the girls LOVED them!  Gobbled them up as if they hadn't eaten in weeks.


I plant winter rye in my vegetable gardens every fall and have been doing so for as long as I can remember.  However, this is the first year that the deer have been taking a fancy to it.  Now, I don't know if it's because of all the snow we had and the bitter cold temps but they've been coming right up to the house garden and chowing on the deep green grass.  I don't mind them eating the grass, rather it's the comfort level they now have and the worry I have of them eating our veggie plants once I get them in the ground.

No comments: