Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Pesky Bothersome Critters

So, as I do each Fall, and have been doing for as long as I can remember, I plant Winter Rye in my vegetable gardens. Helps hold the dirt, when tilled in come Spring it enriches the soil and I can pick some throughout the Winter and feed as treats for the chickens and rabbits.

However, as you can see from the picture below the deer have already found it leaving their hoof marks behind as evidence.  Although, still growing and coming in, they didn't waste any time in eating most of it to the ground.

They'll be sorry when the real cold weather is upon us, wishing they had saved some.


Of course come early Spring, with the days longer and warming the rye will take off and thicken up quite nicely.

Just need to figure out a way of deterring the deer from coming so close to the house and fussing with all our plants.

No comments: