Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Allium Salivum aka Russian Red

My hardneck garlic arrived via USPS last week!  I ordered, as I've been doing for years now, from Sow True Seed out of Asheville, NC.  They're terrific, from their variety to their customer service to their quality.  I highly recommend them.

This time last year, October 5, 2015 to be precise, I planted a garlic variety called Music.  It did terrific and tastes wonderful!  This fall we're trying a new variety called Russian Red.  I saved a couple small gloves to sample.  JoAnne cooked a roast and stuffed it with this garlic and WOW it was delicious!

1lb Russian Red -

9 BIG beautiful bulbs -

Separated into 76 wonderful looking cloves -

Four of six rows hoed and cloves seated - 

Rows covered and lightly tampered -

I'll add grass and leave clippings the next time I mow the lawn to keep the weeds down, moisture in and for an added layer of insulation from the cold New England weather heading our way.

Now we wait and salivate...

No comments: