Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I'm Thirsty

Funny story! True story!

My 5 year old daughter comes up to me the other day and says -

Emilie: Dad, I have has a secret to tell you but you can't tell anyone.
Me: OK
Emilie: I opened the door to the rabbit cage...
Me: Umm, OK
Emilie: and I stuck my head inside the cage...
Me: You better not have!
Emilie: and I drank some of her water...
Me: What!
Emilie: I drank some of her water.
Me: Why?!
Emilie: Mom put a new water bottle in and I wanted to try it.
Me: What?! Why?!?!
Emilie: Its OK she (the rabbit) didn't scratch me and it tasted good.
Me: Now sporting the ole deer-in-the-head-look and at a complete loss for words.

This particular cage sits on top of two turned-over recycling bins and is at a perfect height for Emilie. She is constantly opening the cage door and patting the rabbit, talking to her, feeding her dandelions or grass or whatever she can pick from the yard. She's been told many, many times to not open the door.

I was bothered more by her sticking her head inside the cage than I was her drinking the water. The water bottle is clean (as clean can be inside a rabbit cage), as is the water. I was more concerned about Emilie getting scratched or bitten. She is a good and gentle rabbit but she is an animal just the same and you just never know.

This has been explained to Emilie, I just hope she understands and doesn't do it again. After all, it's a pain in the butt to have to keep filling up those water bottles...hehehe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, and she can open the clip that you put on there so that she cannot get in there.

SmF732 said...

If I put anything more difficult on there to prevent her from opening the cage door, we won't be able to open it either.