Sunday, December 05, 2010

Identify the Hawks, If You Can!

We've have visitors of a different sort the last couple of weeks. Well, let me clarify, we've noticed on several occasions these hawks. I'm sure they're always around but being as allusive and swift as they are we don't typically see them. However, being that we've on the verge of winter with the temperatures dropping and that all of the leaves are now down, these beauties are easier to spot as they're hunting for a meal.

At first I thought these were both Cooper's Hawks but I'm not too sure now. I believe they're two different type of hawks anyway - a Cooper's hawk on the roof top and a Sharp-Shinned hawk in the tree but I could be mistaken just the same. It could simple be they're age difference, adult versus juvenile.

Cooper's Hawk -


Sharp-Shinned Hawk -



Don't be shy. Jump in here and let me know what you think. This comparison link might help or confuse you even more like it did me - Project FeederWatch

No comments: