Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Mild Winter Ahead...Maybe?

 
Came across this Woolly Bear Caterpillar on my way out to feed the animals.  Although, not the first one I've seen this year, it is the first one I've seen this fall.  What struck me about this particular dude is that he was mostly brown.  In years past I've see some that are mostly black or the two colors are more proportionate but not this fella.
 
As you may know Woolly Bears are known for predicting winter weather, which made the Woolly Bear one of the most recognizable caterpillars in North America.
 
So, what is this dude predicting for this upcoming winter?!?!
 
Well, according to The Farmer's Almanac -
 
According to legend, the wider that middle brown section is (i.e., the more brown segments there are), the milder the coming winter will be. Conversely, a narrow brown band is said to predict a harsh winter.
 
MILD!!
 
Certainly hope this is true but only time will tell.

No comments: