Saturday, September 13, 2014

Yellow Jacket Surprise!


The raised flower bed above is Emilie's.  She chose and planted those flowers, which have done very well this season.  The insects love them too and are typically all over them, especially the bees.

However, the other morning, from my upstairs perch, I noticed a hole that been dug along side and that leads underneath the bed, circled in red.  Upon further investigation and a closer look I realized it's a Yellow Jack entryway!!!  An entryway that was very busy with comings and goings!

I'm guessing the reason the holes so big is because some critter was trying to get at the nest.  A skunk or opossum perhaps.

Interestingly, shortly before noticing this issue, I had just moved the grass in that area and used the push mower too and never noticed a thing.  Thankfully I didn't get stung either.

Well, last night after dark Emilie and I pulled a commando raid on them, shock and awe.  Not really shock and awe but it sounds good right.  I simply took some paper towels soaked in bee spray and pushed them down into the hole then covered with a plastic bag and secured.

Hopefully most of the bees had gone to bed and that this approach will work.  We'll see this AM.

No comments: