Friday, March 22, 2019

Black Ice Bad

Route 495 north came to an abrupt stop about 3 miles into my commute.  The next 1.5 miles took me approximately 1 hour.  It was 6:30ish and it was an icy morning.  We had rain the day before and the temperatures dropped below freezing over night, so perfect condition for dangerous conditions.  The side roads were particularly bad, most untreated, so speeds were way down for me.  The highway appeared to be in better condition, which could have contributed to this accident.

I counted 10 Massachusetts police cars and 2 tow trucks pass by as we waited, so you knew it wasn't good.  I was frustrated, have to be honest, but since I was headed to the office I was more tolerant.


A I made way forward and closer to the accident all traffic was being funneled into a single lane to get by.  As I neared the scene I readied my camera and snapped this picture - a rollover in the fast lane, YIKES!


It was only later that night did I learn the driver, a 23-year-young-man was killed.


Sad for sure and helps puts things more into perspective.  I would have happily sat in the traffic longer if the outcome could have been better.

No comments: