Sunday, September 09, 2007

Tomato Hornworm

I was out picking tomato's on Sunday afternoon and noticed the large, black droppings (frass) lying on some of the tomato leafs. Once I saw this I knew what produced them. It was now a matter of finding the little nuisance. Now some of you might ask, just how do you know what frass looks like and how would you notice something like that and what produced it. To that I will say I just do and leave it at that.



Here are a few pictures of the little guy. I found him directly above his droppings, hiding on the underside of a tomato leaf. He's not fully grown yet, prolly only 1.5 - 2" in length. This one also was clean and didn't have any parasitic wasp cocoons on him.

Horn worms are voracious eaters and can consume large amounts of both foliage and fruit. The adults are fast flying hawk moths, which in flight are sometimes mistaken for hummingbirds. They have a wingspan of about 7 - 8".

No comments: