Friday, July 23, 2010

Upside-Down Tomato Plant Experiment

Here is my first attempt at Upside-Down gardening.

I took a 5-gallon plastic bucket and drilled a 2 inch hole in the center. I then took my Big Boy tomato plant, which was approximately 8" tall, and inserted him into the hole about 4" deep. Using some composting grass clipping, I lined the bottom of the bucket and around the stem and root ball of my plant to help hold it in place then filled the bucket with fresh compost about 3/4 full. I had a Dill herb with no home, so I planted it on top. I'm leaving the weeds you see growing out of the top, along with the Dill to help retain some of the moisture in the bucket.

So far so good, the plant is doing fine and growing as you'd expect only upside-down, but the proof in results...

No comments: