Friday, August 31, 2018

Isn't She Lovely - Argiope Aurantia

Take a gander at this beauty!

A black-and-yellow Argiope (Orb) spider!

This lovely lady built her web in one of our flower beds and from what I can tell had great success snaring her meals.  I would help and toss cabbage moths or grasshoppers into her web, which she would eagerly wrap up in a ball of silk and begin dining.



Unfortunately, she disappeared several days ago.  I don't know what critter would have bothered or eaten her but I question her web location, as it was only a foot or so above the ground.  We're have skunks and opossums foraging and digging in the tomato garden and surrounding area during the night.  Perhaps, one of these critters found and ate her.

Too bad, I was hoping she'd mate so we'd have more Orb next year but sadly it wasn't meant to be... 

No comments: