Monday, September 28, 2020

Something Just Kept Gnawing At Me...

I was super happy when I found a White Birch tree, just down the street at the ball field, that was taken down by one of last years winter storms.

I cut each at 27", the perfect size for our fireplace, and used a radial arm-like saw so the cuts were straight and perfect.  The looks SO good stacked neatly in their new home.



However, it wasn't long after that I began to question my hearing.  You see, my work-at-home office space is in the family room, immediately next to the fireplace, and I began hearing things, chewing\gnawing things.  Years ago we had yellow jackets nest on the wall behind the fireplace, so at first I thought perhaps it happened again.  Ear flat against the wall and nothing, no noises.  It persisted, nothing loud and not all the time but it was still happening.  Ironically, I started noticing unusual beetles, flying beetles, that would be attracted to the lamp in the evenings.  I killed several before finally making the connection, AHA!

Turns out the beetles were Rustic Borers!  Cool looking I guess, unusual.  These insects are pests of Hickory, other hardwood and pine and supposedly, from my research, won't infest your home.  Apparently, it's typical for them to be brought indoor with firewood, where the heat draws them out.


All that being said, I still didn't want to risk it, so the nice looking Birch logs were given to someone for use in their firepit...

No comments: