Wednesday, June 15, 2022

BEWARE, Turtle Crossing

I came across this new born baby snapping turtle the other morning on my walk.  One of it's litter mates was squashed in the roadway nearby, sniff.  I moved this little fella safely away from the road and in the water, where hopefully it'll be fine and surive.


I stopped this rather large lady was just before she walked into the road.  I moved her safely to the edge of the tree line, in the direction she was traveling, and towards the water.  It was for her own good, however, she did NOT see it that way, nope!  She was a bigg'n and she definitely wanted a piece of me with her attempts at getting ahold of me with her snapping. 

Honestly, shocks me that turtles this size get hit by vehicles.  I would think she would do some damage.  Supposed people are distracted and too concerned to care about what they hit or run over.


Here is a side by side comparison showing a new born versus a much older snapping turtle.  Found in the same area, so perhaps they're related.


All's well that ends well.

No comments: