Wednesday, November 04, 2020

Gone But Not Forgotten

Came across these Sunny Rock Farm memorabilia items.

Sunny Rock Farm was a 74-acre farm hidden in North Walpole that opened back in the early 1920s.  I didn't live too far from there when in Westwood and even closer when I moved to Walpole.  I would take my oldest, Stephanie, there all the time.  They had a big barn with cows and a section dedicated to 4H, which had rabbits and chickens.  The farm store, which included the kitchen\bakery and always smelled of fresh bake goodness, also had fresh eggs, milk, candy, soda and other goodies.  That's where I'd get my bark mulch from and you could also bring your leaves and grass clipping to dispose of.  

It was a sad day in late 1990s, when the elderly couple passed away and, from what I had heard at the time, the property got tied up in a family tough of war and closed never to reopen again.  In 2015 30 new home lots were approved on the land.  I've not driven by in year and suspect the homes are big mini mansion types being it's North Walpole and prolly all look nice.  Sadly, however, I would have preferred to see the land kept as a working farm...


No comments: