Friday, October 02, 2026

Mammalian Secretions

So what’s the deal with these East Tennessee kamikaze gnats?? Guessing they’re eye gnats, (yes, eye gnats are a real type of gnat that are attracted to mammal secretions, yummy 😋 ). Can somebody please explain?


Due to a prior commitment I was unable to go for my morning walk, so instead I opted for an evening walk yesterday instead.

Morning walks are much more peaceful and enjoyable; I prefer that time of the day. It’s quieter, before everything and everybody awakens, and the hustle and bustle starts.

Although, there were more people on the waking path yesterday afternoon and you could hear the roaring and droning of the vehicles on nearby 107, it was still enjoyable.

That was until the East Tennessee kamikaze gnats came out, and in force they came!!

Those dudes are relentless and what’s the attraction to the face, eyes, nose, ears and mouth, OMG!

In the span of less than one mile I had eaten five (not willingly of course), protein I didn’t ask for or need, dug three out of my left nostril (what a sight, as I was knuckles deep rooting around and trying to stop the sneezing fit), one out of my left ear and was nearly blinded by three others that imbedded themselves in my left eye!

After ridding myself of these ilks, and once the blurry vision cleared and I could see again, I opened my Amazon app and ordered myself one of them thar beekeepers hat and veil combos <wink>. I’m sure I’ll get some side eye and weirdo looks but c’mon safety first!

I have a new appreciation for livestock; horses, cows, etc., as well as deer and other animals that these gnats and other annoying flying pester and bother constantly.

Anyway, I digress, my afternoon walk was relaxing despite being attacked by East Tennessee kamikaze gnats.

No comments: