Friday, April 07, 2023

Lack Of Sportsmanship

I'm a hockey fan!  Always have been.  I supposed I'd list hockey as my favorite sport and luv to watch it.

Growing up we used to play street hockey in front of our house all the time.  When older, we'd rent an ice rink on Friday or Saturday nights for an hour and have some great games and fun times!

When younger, I remember always wanting to watch the Boston Bruins. The era of Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Wayne Cashman, Ken Hodge, goalie Gilles Gilbert my favorite.  I collected all sports cards but hockey was my fav!

Back in the olden days when I grew up we had one television, and I believe this was even before cable, so monopolizing the TV for a hockey game wasn't always accepted or allowed.  Plus, my dad was not a hockey fan, nope.  He was always bothered by the fighting.  Of course I enjoyed the fighting!

Fast forward forty year and I'm still a hockey fan and still enjoying watching it.  The game has changed, it's faster, there's more fineness and the fighting has changed considerably too. There are really no more "enforcers" like there were years ago. You know the player who wasn't too skilled at hockey, a forth line type of player. Someone who could skate and keep up but was on the team to protect the other more skilled players.  The person who was always at the ready to drop the gloves and start swinging if someone did something to the team stars.

I mention the above and how the game of hockey has changed and evolved.  I think my dad would approve of how the game has improved and even be more tolerant.  Maybe even watch a Bruins game or two.

Here is the point I'm trying to make - today fighting can be found in all sports, from the professionals, to the college level, even all the way down to the high school level an beyond AND it's NOT just limited to hockey AND it's not just men, the woman are guilty of it too!  You see news stories, more often than not, of basketball, football, soccer, etc., it's everywhere today.

Perhaps, I've reverted into my dad because I can NOT tolerate the fighting, which I equate with a lack of sportsmanship.  So much so that I think I'm done with all sports, college and professional.  I'm sure I'll watch a game or two here or there, especially when it comes playoff time but otherwise, I can't be bothered and have NOT desire to watch all these spoiled, entitled, primidone athletes; the ones making absolutely stupid amounts of money, and see them loose their cool and revert to start swinging to resolve the issue. There are often too many news report about fighting and it's shameful.

Enough is enough with their ego's and BS.  Whatever happened to respect, professionalism, common curtsey and just basic competitiveness?!  I have better things to do with my time than to sit and watch these idiots.

Go Bruins!

No comments: