Monday, June 19, 2023

See My Garden Grow!

Father's Day weekend garden update -

I planted my third and final batch of Silver Queen corn!  I sow (50) seeds in each sunken clump and planted them each 2-weeks apart with the closest clump planted yesterday.  This will give me plenty of corn to enjoy for weeks!  Also, come the fall, I'll have plenty of corn stalks for decoration.


I planted a row of MAMMOTH sunflower's along the fence, which are doing great.  I planted the entire package and will be sorry when it comes time for fall clean up.  As the name indicates, Mammoth sunflowers get BIG and tall, which makes pulling them when the season is done a lot of work.


I also have (9) Beef Stake tomatoes in with stakes already in place.  They're doing great and with all the rain we've been getting, they're getting big.  I'm trying something different this year and instead of just letting them be, I'm doing a controlled pruning.  Removing all the lower stems and all the suckers that are so typical with tomatoes.  I may not get as many tomatoes with this approach but hoping the plants will be more manageable and the fruits BIGGER! 

I also planted basil, along with my usual marigolds.  Basil is a soulmate of tomatoes and when planted together, the basil helps repel insects and the dreaded hornworm caterpillars.  "They" say basil also helps improve yield, hmmm.  Marigolds are also known to help in keeping unwanted insect pests away too.

No comments: